WASHINGTON, D.C. – California was once at the nationwide degree Wednesday as Governor Gavin Newsom met with nationwide leaders in Washington, D.C. and permitted an award for California’s transformative enhancements to schooling.
The Governor began his day assembly with First Girl Dr. Jill Biden on the White Space. The Governor mentioned how California can reinforce the Biden Management’s bold schedule. The 2 additionally mentioned all issues schooling forward of the Governor accepting an award for California’s transformative paintings within the schooling area.
- Why it issues: A study room trainer for over 30 years and a neighborhood school educator, the First Girl leads the nationwide dialog on the most important schooling reforms like common pre-school, larger broadband get admission to, loose neighborhood school and extra inexpensive upper schooling choices – all issues California has pioneered.
The Governor’s subsequent forestall was once accepting the country’s preeminent award for schooling coverage, the Frank Newman Award for State Innovation from the Schooling Fee of the States, in reputation of California’s transformative enhancements in our colleges. Watch his complete remarks right here.
- “Schooling is underneath attack in america of The usa”: Talking to a room filled with the country’s best educators, Governor Newsom spoke to the urgency of protecting faculties from Republican assaults.
- “I do consider schooling is underneath attack in ways in which I’ve by no means skilled in my lifetime,” Governor Newsom mentioned. “However what’s going down now – banning books, suppressing speech, the othering of our scholars, academics, oldsters – it’s alarming. And so I got here right here no longer simply to recognize and be identified as a state that’s dedicated to righting wrongs and advancing the reason for reform and innovation however I’d be remiss if I didn’t talk extra deeply to the instant that I believe we’re dwelling in because it pertains to the attack on our freedom.”
- Governor Newsom contrasted that with California’s imaginative and prescient for schooling. California is bettering psychological well being helps, clearing pathways to university and careers, and making sure that each kid has get admission to to loose, nutritious foods. This 12 months, we reached the very best stage of per-pupil spending in California historical past and is heading in the right direction to reaching common pre-school and common after college techniques.
The second one a part of Governor Newsom’s day integrated a slate of conferences with federal officers on the Place of job of Control and Finances (OMB), the Division of Housing and City Construction (HUD) and the White Space.
- Assembly with Nani Coloretti, Deputy Director at OMB, in conjunction with California Well being and Human Services and products Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly, the Governor mentioned California’s bold well being care priorities.
- At HUD, the dialog became to housing. With Secretary Marcia Fudge and her key senior workforce, the Governor mentioned how the Biden Management can spouse with California on answers to homelessness. This contains further requests for sources, but additionally an be offering to percentage California’s successes like Encampment Solution Grants and Homekey with the remainder of the country.
- The Governor wrapped his day the place he began it: the White Space. In a gathering with White Space Leader of Workforce Ron Klain, the Governor presented his unwavering reinforce of President Biden’s schedule and mentioned how California may give a fashion for the remainder of the country of modern governance.